The first book I tried to read this month was The Screaming Room by Thomas O'Callaghan. I actually started it right before Halloween, so I thought it was a fitting follow-up to the Lincoln vampire book at the right time of the year. Unfortunately, I just couldn't do it. I read probably 50 pages or so before I gave up - life is too short to read books that aren't worth it.
So, then I picked up Mystic River by Dennis Lehane. I have seen the movie, once, back when it came out... but, I didn't remember much about the story other than there were three kids, one of whom got abducted, who were reunited as adults. I remember the movie being amazing, but the book was something else... something violent and scary and sad and something that felt so real. I loved the feel of the book - it was very gritty, set mostly in The Flats, a lower class, working neighborhood in Boston. The people who live there are a bit rough, some criminals, but all described in a way that made you believe they exist. The story, if you don't recall it from the movie, revolves around three men and the murder of one of their daughters. Jimmy's daughter is murdered, it's investigated by Sean, and the prime suspect is David, the individual who was abducted as a child.
This book made me realize - finally - that my favorite book genre is really, really good crime novels. Coming from the girl whose favorite book of all time is The Godfather, and who is in a constant search of 'something like The Alienist' by Caleb Carr, and really enjoyed The Girl Who... books. I guess it took me long enough to figure this out. Crystal, if you haven't read this one, put it on your list!

I next picked up Life of Pi by Yann Martel. This book is one I've picked up a dozen or more times off the best seller list at the airport, but each time I read the synopsis on the back, I was less than intrigued and put it back. I finally bought the book at a yard sale for 50 cents or so, and had it lying around the house for a few months. After finishing the last book, I was heading out the door to work and needed to grab something quick - and preferably small - to read on the train... and, so Life of Pi was it.
Immediately, I was surprised at how quickly I got into it. The first quarter or so is about Pi's life in India before he and his family take the fateful ship's ride... and, while looking back at the book, this part isn't the most striking or memorable, I certainly enjoyed it enough while reading it. The crux of the book is the story of how Pi survives as a castaway with an adult Bengal tiger. It describes his terror, inventiveness, bravery, and raw will to live. And, then at the end, Pi throws his own story for a loop and makes one want to start from the beginning and read it again with this new, curve-ball slant.
I definitely enjoyed this novel much more than I expected, and it's left me thinking about starting again ... or, at least finding a discussion on line or a book club reading guide. I feel like there is more here than I was able to get during my low-key, commuter's read...
,
So, then I picked up Mystic River by Dennis Lehane. I have seen the movie, once, back when it came out... but, I didn't remember much about the story other than there were three kids, one of whom got abducted, who were reunited as adults. I remember the movie being amazing, but the book was something else... something violent and scary and sad and something that felt so real. I loved the feel of the book - it was very gritty, set mostly in The Flats, a lower class, working neighborhood in Boston. The people who live there are a bit rough, some criminals, but all described in a way that made you believe they exist. The story, if you don't recall it from the movie, revolves around three men and the murder of one of their daughters. Jimmy's daughter is murdered, it's investigated by Sean, and the prime suspect is David, the individual who was abducted as a child.
This book made me realize - finally - that my favorite book genre is really, really good crime novels. Coming from the girl whose favorite book of all time is The Godfather, and who is in a constant search of 'something like The Alienist' by Caleb Carr, and really enjoyed The Girl Who... books. I guess it took me long enough to figure this out. Crystal, if you haven't read this one, put it on your list!

I next picked up Life of Pi by Yann Martel. This book is one I've picked up a dozen or more times off the best seller list at the airport, but each time I read the synopsis on the back, I was less than intrigued and put it back. I finally bought the book at a yard sale for 50 cents or so, and had it lying around the house for a few months. After finishing the last book, I was heading out the door to work and needed to grab something quick - and preferably small - to read on the train... and, so Life of Pi was it.
Immediately, I was surprised at how quickly I got into it. The first quarter or so is about Pi's life in India before he and his family take the fateful ship's ride... and, while looking back at the book, this part isn't the most striking or memorable, I certainly enjoyed it enough while reading it. The crux of the book is the story of how Pi survives as a castaway with an adult Bengal tiger. It describes his terror, inventiveness, bravery, and raw will to live. And, then at the end, Pi throws his own story for a loop and makes one want to start from the beginning and read it again with this new, curve-ball slant.I definitely enjoyed this novel much more than I expected, and it's left me thinking about starting again ... or, at least finding a discussion on line or a book club reading guide. I feel like there is more here than I was able to get during my low-key, commuter's read...
,


0 comments: