There's something liberating about not pretending. Dare to embarrass yourself. Risk.

- Drew Barrymore

We had a bit of scare this past weekend... well, I was okay, but I think I scared my family to death.

I had a really full, fun Saturday last weekend. I got up early and worked at our TNT Applebee's Pancake Breakfast. I walked about six miles with my girlfriend Becky. I had a full afternoon at home and then Jon and I went to some friends' house for dinner, wine, and board games. I was up at 6 and went to bed at 3; super, super late for me.

And, the next morning I got up early for my appointment to donate blood. No big deal, right? I've donated tons of times before. I felt fine during and after... all until I woke up from a nap to get Jackson up from his.. I went upstairs, got him out of his crib and stood him on his changing table... and, that's when things went kind of fuzzy.

Jon described the noise he heard as someone holding a bowling ball above their head and letting it hit the ground. As soon as he heard it, he heard Jackson start screaming crying. He bolted upstairs and found me laid out on the floor.

I came to to him screaming my name and Jackson wailing. I was confused and didn't have an idea as to what happened. All I knew is I felt HORRIBLE. I was dripping sweat and got sick - yup, classic concussion signs. But, all I wanted to do was lie down. Stupid, I know.

I felt better that evening, but even Monday at work I didn't feel 100%. So, after talking to my girl, Kendra, and then my Mom, I made an appointment to get checked out.

The verdict is: Thankfully, my brain isn't broken. The doctor looked at my eyes and made me do all kinds of point to your nose kinds of tests and assured me if I had brain damage, I wouldn't be able to do them. He figured I passed out because I have chronically low blood pressure - always been a good thing before - and told me it would probably take a few days after donating blood to feel back to normal.

What drama! Jon is done with any volunteer blood donation. I think I nearly gave him a heart attack. And, even Jackson was petrified... I felt bad that I scared them both like that.

So, I'm never donating blood again... so, if you CAN and don't have bad reactions, please donate in my place.

American Red Cross


This entry was posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: