There's something liberating about not pretending. Dare to embarrass yourself. Risk.

- Drew Barrymore

This month, I read three books - all a bit different.

This first was Burning Bright by Tracey Chevalier. I picked this one up while browsing on my book swap site mostly because I've read a number of her books and enjoyed them. I like her stories - usually a historical story intertwined with a real historical character.

This one was about a family who moved to London from the country in the early 1800's and became neighbors of William Blake. I don't know much about Blake, but did enjoy the story's setting and the contrasts drawn between the country family and the huge and growing London at the very beginning of the Industrial Revolution.

The second novel of the month was Disclosure by Micheal Creighton.

This one I picked up, again, because I've read some Creighton in the past... and, a friend of mine had recently watched the movie and gave me some insight into the plot. While reading it, I could only think of Demi Moore and Michael Douglas, but that wasn't necessarily a bad thing, lol. The story is about a sexual harassment incident where the woman was the perpetrator. The most interesting part of the book was that it took place in the course of about 5 days... I wasn't expecting this and it made the story move quickly. I ended up reading this book in nearly one sitting, while traveling for work.

The quirkiest part of this book is that it was written in the 90's and is about a technology company - so, it is completely dated in that respect. There is lots of talk about CD-ROMs and calling on "my cellular."

And, that last book of the month was Founding Brothers: The Revolutionary Generation by Joseph Ellis.

I read this book mostly because Jon and I had just watched the John Adams mini-series and my interest was piqued about the players of the day. This book - while a bit cumbersome to read - was a very interesting and quick read about the men of the revolution.

Each of the books' chapters focused on one of the men. I've found the more I learn about Washington and Adams, the more I respect them... and, the more I learn about Jefferson, the more of a crackpot I think he was.

The language of this book was a bit dense, but the book itself was short, so I could get through it. I think it would be difficult to get through a longer book by this author, though... I got the impression he liked to sound smart.

So, it looks like I'm averaging about three books a month... what a change from my goal of last year to read one book a month! This must be the silver lining of a long-ass commute.


This entry was posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: