There's something liberating about not pretending. Dare to embarrass yourself. Risk.

- Drew Barrymore

July was a 50/50 book month.  One I think I'll remember forever because it was such a disappointment, one will probably fade with time, and 2 may stick around for good reasons...

The first book was my disappointment. Killing Time by Caleb Carr sure isn't any The Alienist, which is a Caleb Carr novel and one of my all-time favorites.  This book doesn't compare - it's fantasy, sci-fi, which isn't my thing anyway, and the story is contrived and down-right cheesy in places... The only thing going for it is it's a quick read, so I didn't feel like I wasted too much of my time.


















I next read Ladder of Years by Anne Tyler... and, it was okay.  I feel a bit of bait and switch with Anne Tyler.  I loved the first novel of hers I read, but the second was less than okay and this one was just okay.  The story of the middle-aged woman who runs away from her family and nearly falls into another (with a kid who loves her) is one that will probably fade quickly.



















I picked up Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes at the library.  I think I read about it on NPR books post... that and it's length (short) got my attention.  And, it was an interesting read... not what I expected and had an awesome twist.  An older man tells the story of his first girlfriend and how the relationship came to an end...  he searches her out for some closure on the suicide of one of their mutual friend... and, well, I'll remember his closure.


















And, lastly, State of Wonder by Ann Patchett.  This one I know I heard the review on NPR and it was so crazy suonding, I couldn't help but want to read the book.  What? A Minnesotan scientist travels to South America to rendez-vous with a fertility researcher?  As crazy as it sounds, at least while reading it, it was completely believeable.  It was a super quick, engaging read.



















So, not all bad.  But, seriously, don't bother with Killing Time.


This entry was posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2012 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: