When I woke up this morning, I wasn't feeling great - so, had an excuse not to make it to Jazzercise - and, I headed downstairs for coffee and my weekly dose of house shows. When Jon got up, we had the typical, "what are we going to do today" discussion... complete with our typical tension and Google attempts. But, today... it worked and we figured out what to do!!
Side note: After 18 months in the area, I found an awesome blog www.KidFriendlyDC.com that has weekend round-ups of cool events (though, today we didn't choose something from the blog).
Anyway, we actually went to the Smithsonian American History Museum today!

What got us going, I think, was realizing that we didn't have to take the train downtown. We drove and found a parking lot and OMG, that is the way to go.
Once we got there, we grabbed a ridiculously over-priced lunch... this being the only part of the day we need to figure out and do better next time. After lunch, we made our way to the top floor and saw the American Presidency and First Ladies exhibits. Then, we walked through The Price of Freedom, which was an exhibit about America at war. The most interesting part of this section was we tried out a stamp, a la the Stamp Act... the kids thought that was cool.
Pic of me and the kids giving an inaugaration speech.
From there, we made our way to the second floor and saw American Stories, where we got to see Abraham Lincoln's life mask, a Kermit the Frog, Dorothy's ruby slippers, an old Sony Walkman, a scorched timber from when the White House burned in 1812, and the CBS microphone FDR spoke his fireside chats into. We also walked through the awesome Star Spangled Banner exhibit that shows off the real thing... I don't think I realized it was the flag that flew over Ft. McHenry :)
On the first floor, we walked through an exhibit about Food - the highlights of which were Julia Child's kitchen and the largest size George Foreman grill... the same dang one we have! We also walked through a cool section about transportation... we sat on a Chicago L train, checked out different sea-going vessels, cool cars, and even a giant locomotive.

The kids enjoyed the museum; however, Jackson started feeling yucky and developed a fever. Poor kiddo was ready to leave and is now taking a nap.
Despite cranky kids, I'm really proud of us for getting up and out to do something DC-ish! It feels like our official kick-off to Spring.
Side note: After 18 months in the area, I found an awesome blog www.KidFriendlyDC.com that has weekend round-ups of cool events (though, today we didn't choose something from the blog).
Anyway, we actually went to the Smithsonian American History Museum today!

What got us going, I think, was realizing that we didn't have to take the train downtown. We drove and found a parking lot and OMG, that is the way to go.
Once we got there, we grabbed a ridiculously over-priced lunch... this being the only part of the day we need to figure out and do better next time. After lunch, we made our way to the top floor and saw the American Presidency and First Ladies exhibits. Then, we walked through The Price of Freedom, which was an exhibit about America at war. The most interesting part of this section was we tried out a stamp, a la the Stamp Act... the kids thought that was cool.
Pic of me and the kids giving an inaugaration speech.
From there, we made our way to the second floor and saw American Stories, where we got to see Abraham Lincoln's life mask, a Kermit the Frog, Dorothy's ruby slippers, an old Sony Walkman, a scorched timber from when the White House burned in 1812, and the CBS microphone FDR spoke his fireside chats into. We also walked through the awesome Star Spangled Banner exhibit that shows off the real thing... I don't think I realized it was the flag that flew over Ft. McHenry :)
On the first floor, we walked through an exhibit about Food - the highlights of which were Julia Child's kitchen and the largest size George Foreman grill... the same dang one we have! We also walked through a cool section about transportation... we sat on a Chicago L train, checked out different sea-going vessels, cool cars, and even a giant locomotive.
The kids enjoyed the museum; however, Jackson started feeling yucky and developed a fever. Poor kiddo was ready to leave and is now taking a nap.
Despite cranky kids, I'm really proud of us for getting up and out to do something DC-ish! It feels like our official kick-off to Spring.

0 comments: