March - Heeeeeeyyyyyyyyy!!!!!
Lots and lots and lots going on this month. Quick recap:
- We did our taxes and for the first time in my life, we owe- quite a bit :( Tax time has always been a second Christmas time for both Jon and I, so this realization sucked!! However, I had adjusted deductions, Jon worked for 6 months, and state taxes are a B. Nothing we couldn't handle, but BOO!!
- And, speaking of government and money... this month Sequestration hit. After months of drama, our illustrious leaders couldn't figure out and it went into effect. They're saying it will take a while to feel the pain... Disappointment in Congress at an all-time high.
- The day seqestration hit, we had Snowquestration... it was a Wednesday and I fully expected to ad hoc work from home... but, when we woke up, everything was closed! HOORAY!! Truly, have never been so thankful for a snow day... especially, when it turned out to be a complete bust and hardly any snow! This day did call for a revision to VBA's telework policy, though... an update came out a couple weeks after this and now we have to work from home on government shut down days. And, OPM changed their ways, too, because later in the month - just happened to be the first day of Spring Break, we got inches of snow and they didn't even do a delayed start!
- In response to a call to take some training classes, I had 2 this month. Editing for Impact was a 2-day class and it was pretty good... though a bit basic for me. Then, at the end of the month, I spent 4 days in a SharePoint class. I got to commute to Frederick, which means awesome, and the class was outstanding. I think maybe my second calling is office organization via SharePoint...
- This month also brought a new work opportunity. I put in for a job in Nashville and got a very quick interview request. Of course this caused quite a bit of anxiety and stress because we want it so badly. It's a good, but scary opportunity; had to rely on my work peeps (finally spoke to Cheryl ... for TWO hours!) to get some various opinions. I got tons of support... really, after I went down for Cheryl's retirement and hung out with my girlies last November, Jon and discussed and we decided we would be trying t make our way back. Not really in a rush, but this opportunity presented itself, so I had to take a stab.
- All I'm going to say is "listing obsessed." All month. Constantly. Can't help myself - which causes MORE stress!!
- And, with the possibility of us leaving the area relatively soon, we are feeling the pressure of our DC Bucket List, which I never even pulled together enough to have written down. We made it to the American History Museum, as I posted about earlier. We also booked a long weekend in Williamsburg for April, and we're talking about getting out to Gettysburg soon, too.
- This month, both kiddos got sick a bit. MG had a nasty ear infection. Poor little girl couldn't even sleep... she would whimper and moan, "my eaaarrrr huurrts!!" The doctor put her on some heavy duty antibiotics and required a follow-up visit in 30 days. The medicine was very yucky tasting and she ran away from us when it was time to take it. She would cry and scream "It's GROOOOOSSSSSS!!" Poor girl. Then, Jack caught something, thankfully not the same ear infection... but, both of them went in for a visit :(
- On a happier note, Mary Grace started writing her name! Check this out!!
- And, she and I had a mini spa day... Painting fingernails and toenails


- Jon and I celebrated our anniversary on the 25th (also the day of my interview and Spring Break non-snow day). We went out to dinner Sunday night - Ben watched the kids while we had a grown-up dinner at Red Lobster. Truly, how can 7 years feel so long, but go so fast? I also came home to this... no one can say he doesn't know me!
-Mary Grace also went to her first birthday party that was not Jack-related. She's tagged along at a number of parties he's been invited to, but this time, the invite was from one of her classmates and we left Jack at home. Here she is waiting patiently for her cheese pizza next to her classmate, Phoebe.

- Jackson had a huge win this month... after three sessions of Level 2 in swim lessons, he finally graduated to Level 3! He was so happy and proud of himself!! MG is still in Level 1 (after four sessions), so she's taking a break... as her instructor said, "she just needs more time to get comfortable with water." Well, we are going to try to do that on our own instead of paying for it!
And, to roll-up the month... a few pics
MG's cherry blossoms
Some of Jack's school work. He does such cool stuff :)
Will all that's gone on in March... makes me anxious to see what April will bring!
Lots and lots and lots going on this month. Quick recap:
- We did our taxes and for the first time in my life, we owe- quite a bit :( Tax time has always been a second Christmas time for both Jon and I, so this realization sucked!! However, I had adjusted deductions, Jon worked for 6 months, and state taxes are a B. Nothing we couldn't handle, but BOO!!
- And, speaking of government and money... this month Sequestration hit. After months of drama, our illustrious leaders couldn't figure out and it went into effect. They're saying it will take a while to feel the pain... Disappointment in Congress at an all-time high.
- The day seqestration hit, we had Snowquestration... it was a Wednesday and I fully expected to ad hoc work from home... but, when we woke up, everything was closed! HOORAY!! Truly, have never been so thankful for a snow day... especially, when it turned out to be a complete bust and hardly any snow! This day did call for a revision to VBA's telework policy, though... an update came out a couple weeks after this and now we have to work from home on government shut down days. And, OPM changed their ways, too, because later in the month - just happened to be the first day of Spring Break, we got inches of snow and they didn't even do a delayed start!
- In response to a call to take some training classes, I had 2 this month. Editing for Impact was a 2-day class and it was pretty good... though a bit basic for me. Then, at the end of the month, I spent 4 days in a SharePoint class. I got to commute to Frederick, which means awesome, and the class was outstanding. I think maybe my second calling is office organization via SharePoint...
- This month also brought a new work opportunity. I put in for a job in Nashville and got a very quick interview request. Of course this caused quite a bit of anxiety and stress because we want it so badly. It's a good, but scary opportunity; had to rely on my work peeps (finally spoke to Cheryl ... for TWO hours!) to get some various opinions. I got tons of support... really, after I went down for Cheryl's retirement and hung out with my girlies last November, Jon and discussed and we decided we would be trying t make our way back. Not really in a rush, but this opportunity presented itself, so I had to take a stab.
- All I'm going to say is "listing obsessed." All month. Constantly. Can't help myself - which causes MORE stress!!
- And, with the possibility of us leaving the area relatively soon, we are feeling the pressure of our DC Bucket List, which I never even pulled together enough to have written down. We made it to the American History Museum, as I posted about earlier. We also booked a long weekend in Williamsburg for April, and we're talking about getting out to Gettysburg soon, too.
- This month, both kiddos got sick a bit. MG had a nasty ear infection. Poor little girl couldn't even sleep... she would whimper and moan, "my eaaarrrr huurrts!!" The doctor put her on some heavy duty antibiotics and required a follow-up visit in 30 days. The medicine was very yucky tasting and she ran away from us when it was time to take it. She would cry and scream "It's GROOOOOSSSSSS!!" Poor girl. Then, Jack caught something, thankfully not the same ear infection... but, both of them went in for a visit :(
- On a happier note, Mary Grace started writing her name! Check this out!!
- And, she and I had a mini spa day... Painting fingernails and toenails
- Jon and I celebrated our anniversary on the 25th (also the day of my interview and Spring Break non-snow day). We went out to dinner Sunday night - Ben watched the kids while we had a grown-up dinner at Red Lobster. Truly, how can 7 years feel so long, but go so fast? I also came home to this... no one can say he doesn't know me!
-Mary Grace also went to her first birthday party that was not Jack-related. She's tagged along at a number of parties he's been invited to, but this time, the invite was from one of her classmates and we left Jack at home. Here she is waiting patiently for her cheese pizza next to her classmate, Phoebe.
- Jackson had a huge win this month... after three sessions of Level 2 in swim lessons, he finally graduated to Level 3! He was so happy and proud of himself!! MG is still in Level 1 (after four sessions), so she's taking a break... as her instructor said, "she just needs more time to get comfortable with water." Well, we are going to try to do that on our own instead of paying for it!
And, to roll-up the month... a few pics
MG's cherry blossoms
Some of Jack's school work. He does such cool stuff :)
Will all that's gone on in March... makes me anxious to see what April will bring!

0 comments: