There's something liberating about not pretending. Dare to embarrass yourself. Risk.

- Drew Barrymore

It was my turn to select the book for my work bookclub and I chose A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hossini.

I had read The Kite Runner about a year or so ago and just loved it and had already heard amazing things about Suns. I was not disapointed.

Suns is a difficult read. Not because of the langauage or slow story, but it tells the story of two women in Afganistan who endure through abusive relationships, 20 years of war and unimaginable heartache. I literally cried during parts of the novel because of the cruelty and horrors decribed. But, despite being sad and uncomfortable during parts of the book, I came away with a greater understanding of the conflicts in Afganistan and an appreciation for the people who live there.

The novel revolves around the two women who find themselves married to the same man. More than the violence, war and sadness the women endure on a daily basis, the novel is about their relationship and the love the flourishes between them despite all of the bad things around them. It is a testament to human spirit and the beauty that exists amid rubble and blood. The novel also did a great job of providing the background information of Afgani history, describing the war with the Soviets, why the Taliban was embraced and the US involvement after 9/11.

I absolutely loved this story. With only two novels, Hossini has become one of my favorite authors.


This entry was posted on Thursday, July 17, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: