Christmas came a little bit early to the Goddard house this year... with the arrival of Mary Grace Goddard on Thursday, December 24th :)
Exactly one week earlier than her due date and 4 days before our "planned" delivery, Mary Grace let it be known about 3:20 a.m. that she was in a hurry. After waiting to be sure I wasn't being faked out, we called my sister, Jamee to come over for Jackson, and Jon and I headed to the hospital about 8 a.m.
When they say every baby experience is different, whoever "they" is couldn't be more right. This time around was absolutely as different from Jackson as could be (minus maybe skipping the c-section this time around, which was not the case). Without getting into needless details, with Jack, I felt like I barely had a labor experience... well, I got it this time with Mary Grace. After being admitted to the hospital, I expected the delivery to be pretty quick, but I waited until about 11 a.m. to be taken to the OR. It was a long and painful wait that looking back, already doesn't seem as bad as I thought it was at the time... but, more than anything was unexpected.
While being wheeled back to the OR, I just remember thinking, "okay, let's get this over with"... not necessarily a great thought, but I was ready to be done. The delivery went quickly without any issues - thank goodness. What I remember the most was trying not to think about it when getting the spinal or to really think about what was going on on the other side of the curtain. Jon was right by me, so we just waited... perking up when my doctor spoke, telling us she was beautiful. Next thing we hear is her cries... a sound that both times just brought tears to my eyes... then, Dr. Redden walked her over to my side so we could get our first glimpse of our new baby girl.
These are her very first pictures :)


Once we got to see her, the nurses take her to get cleaned and wrapped up, then we get to see her again... wrapped up like a burrito :)


Then, Jon and Mary Grace went to the nursery to be checked out while I got put back together again. For both deliveries, I remember just being very sleepy during this time... I'm pretty sure I dozed. Then, it's back to the labor and delivery room for a bit. I know for sure I slept a bit there. Then, I got transferred to my recovery room.

Mary Grace was born at 11:24 a.m. She weighed in at 8 pounds, 1 ounce and 20-inches long. Jon left to pick Jackson up around 4 to pick up Jackson (thanks to my friend Jennifer who let Jackson hang out at her house for the afternoon!!) so, Jack and Mary Grace got to meet for the first time about 5 o'clock. I think Jackson was a bit timid meeting his sister... he was excited and happy, I think, but nervous, too. And, he was a bit wild in the room, so Dad and Jack's visit was cut a bit short... but, we got some great pictures.
Jackson meeting his baby sister when she's about 6 hours old:


The best family photo ever!

A close up :)

Welcome to the world, Mary Grace!
Exactly one week earlier than her due date and 4 days before our "planned" delivery, Mary Grace let it be known about 3:20 a.m. that she was in a hurry. After waiting to be sure I wasn't being faked out, we called my sister, Jamee to come over for Jackson, and Jon and I headed to the hospital about 8 a.m.
When they say every baby experience is different, whoever "they" is couldn't be more right. This time around was absolutely as different from Jackson as could be (minus maybe skipping the c-section this time around, which was not the case). Without getting into needless details, with Jack, I felt like I barely had a labor experience... well, I got it this time with Mary Grace. After being admitted to the hospital, I expected the delivery to be pretty quick, but I waited until about 11 a.m. to be taken to the OR. It was a long and painful wait that looking back, already doesn't seem as bad as I thought it was at the time... but, more than anything was unexpected.
While being wheeled back to the OR, I just remember thinking, "okay, let's get this over with"... not necessarily a great thought, but I was ready to be done. The delivery went quickly without any issues - thank goodness. What I remember the most was trying not to think about it when getting the spinal or to really think about what was going on on the other side of the curtain. Jon was right by me, so we just waited... perking up when my doctor spoke, telling us she was beautiful. Next thing we hear is her cries... a sound that both times just brought tears to my eyes... then, Dr. Redden walked her over to my side so we could get our first glimpse of our new baby girl.
These are her very first pictures :)
Once we got to see her, the nurses take her to get cleaned and wrapped up, then we get to see her again... wrapped up like a burrito :)
Then, Jon and Mary Grace went to the nursery to be checked out while I got put back together again. For both deliveries, I remember just being very sleepy during this time... I'm pretty sure I dozed. Then, it's back to the labor and delivery room for a bit. I know for sure I slept a bit there. Then, I got transferred to my recovery room.
Mary Grace was born at 11:24 a.m. She weighed in at 8 pounds, 1 ounce and 20-inches long. Jon left to pick Jackson up around 4 to pick up Jackson (thanks to my friend Jennifer who let Jackson hang out at her house for the afternoon!!) so, Jack and Mary Grace got to meet for the first time about 5 o'clock. I think Jackson was a bit timid meeting his sister... he was excited and happy, I think, but nervous, too. And, he was a bit wild in the room, so Dad and Jack's visit was cut a bit short... but, we got some great pictures.
Jackson meeting his baby sister when she's about 6 hours old:
The best family photo ever!
A close up :)
Welcome to the world, Mary Grace!

0 comments: