Early in March, I was fortunate to attend a three-day class for work called The Capitol Hill Workshop. The class was really, really good - it covered the basics of how congress works, the relationship between the White House and congress, media coverage of politics, lobbying, and a bunch of other topics that make sense that I'm more familiar with in my current job.
By far the highlight of the class was being given the schedule and time to pick and choose congressional hearings to attend. On the second day of the workshop, I reported to Capitol Hill to attend "class."
Here was the view as I made my way from Union Station to the Rayburn office building.

Walking up to the Capitol

The Senate side

Gorgeous rotunda

I passed right in front of the Capitol and attended a handful of House hearings. I sat in on the Judiciary Committee hearing about an interstate abortion bill... it was pure theater and extrememly interesting.
I also sat in on a Transportation and Infrastructure hearing... the highlight of which was hearing the statement of my own Congresswoman discuss the relative lack of federal leasing in Prince George's County (I'm in Montgomery, but the lines are gerrymandered and creep up to us - we're within less than a mile to the district line).
It was really interesting and I'm so glad to have the opportunity to attend.
Heading back near Union Station to report to real class, I caught a pic of the first tree blossoms of the season...

Coming back from the opposite direction

And, across the way is the Supreme Court

The Library of Congress is in this area, too - to the south of the Supreme Court - and that was the only of these buildings I have ever visited. This walking trip made me want to work in a Capitol tour soon, too - maybe on a day the kids are in school and Jon and I can check it out on our own :)
The class got me all excited about possibilities at work - made me think who is "lobbying" for VA... a bit disappointingly, I found out I wasn't selected for the my staff's chief position Monday when I got back to work. But, neither here nor there, the class was excellent and no matter where I end up career-wise, I think it will serve me well juts to have a better understanding of how things work ... and, maybe how to make a difference.
By far the highlight of the class was being given the schedule and time to pick and choose congressional hearings to attend. On the second day of the workshop, I reported to Capitol Hill to attend "class."
Here was the view as I made my way from Union Station to the Rayburn office building.
Walking up to the Capitol
The Senate side
Gorgeous rotunda
I passed right in front of the Capitol and attended a handful of House hearings. I sat in on the Judiciary Committee hearing about an interstate abortion bill... it was pure theater and extrememly interesting.
I also sat in on a Transportation and Infrastructure hearing... the highlight of which was hearing the statement of my own Congresswoman discuss the relative lack of federal leasing in Prince George's County (I'm in Montgomery, but the lines are gerrymandered and creep up to us - we're within less than a mile to the district line).
It was really interesting and I'm so glad to have the opportunity to attend.
Heading back near Union Station to report to real class, I caught a pic of the first tree blossoms of the season...
Coming back from the opposite direction
And, across the way is the Supreme Court
The Library of Congress is in this area, too - to the south of the Supreme Court - and that was the only of these buildings I have ever visited. This walking trip made me want to work in a Capitol tour soon, too - maybe on a day the kids are in school and Jon and I can check it out on our own :)
The class got me all excited about possibilities at work - made me think who is "lobbying" for VA... a bit disappointingly, I found out I wasn't selected for the my staff's chief position Monday when I got back to work. But, neither here nor there, the class was excellent and no matter where I end up career-wise, I think it will serve me well juts to have a better understanding of how things work ... and, maybe how to make a difference.

0 comments: