There's something liberating about not pretending. Dare to embarrass yourself. Risk.

- Drew Barrymore

March was a reading frenzy... I don't think I've read 5 books in one month since college!

I started the month with Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns. I picked it up when browsing on my paperback swap website... I think the 1910s setting is what got my attention.  It was a good story about small town life and a quick, enjoyable read... though a bit sad.

 

















Next came Pope Joan b Donna Woolfolk Cross. I have had this book on my to read list for probably 5 years or more... so, I was glad to finally dig in. And, it was a really interesting story. While fiction, it was based on reports of a female Pope in the 9th century - the height of the Dark Ages.  Joan hid her gender and became a priest, a medical expert, and of course Pope.  I enjoyed the book a ton, even if the ending was a bit hard to believe... though, it is part of the original stories. No spoilers here... read the book :)




















I then read A Long Long Way by Sebastian Barry. I'm pretty sure I came across this title in an NPR article... it's definitely not something I would normally lean towards.  It's the story of a very young Irishman serving in the trenches of World War II.  Parts of this novel were very difficult to read, and there were a few moments I thought I would have to put it down... but, I made it through because the writing is simple and beautiful and felt true - for as ignorant as I am about war, I could picture it in this book. 




















After A Long Long Way, I needed something a bit lighter, so picked up Little Children by Tom Perrotta. This is another one I found online while browsing.  I'd never heard of it, but the synopsis about discontented parents of young children must have struck a chord when I read it.  It was pretty much a quick, no-brainer and a bit sad, too, because the characters are sad, unhappy people.   This one did not feel very real.




















And, the last one for the month was another NPR recommendation, Time and Again by Jack Finney.  I am a complete sucker for late 19th century New York and this is the setting for about half the novel. The story is pretty far-fetched... government research group striving to time travel, which is successful in a few instances, etc... but, I enjoyed the scenes of the past and tried to get over how fantastical it was... Overall, it was alright.


  
















.


This entry was posted on Friday, March 30, 2012 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: