There's something liberating about not pretending. Dare to embarrass yourself. Risk.

- Drew Barrymore

June was an unusually light reading month for me. I was off for a week, then in training in Frederick for another, and out of town for a third... so, put that all together and you find I do the bulk of my reading on the train. It's obvious, I wasn't riding very much!

First, while perusing the stacks at the library, I came across To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf. Thinking that she's a beloved writer who I have never read, I gave it a go. And, I found out I hated it. It was super short - maybe 120 pages? But, it was the. longest. 120 pages I have ever read. Though out, I kept thinking, I'm just not getting it because this isn't any good... may be a novel I have to read with a group or in a class, because I got nothing out of it on my own.




















So, after that fiasco, I read Breathing Lessons by Anne Tyler.

I loved Accidental Tourist, which I read a few weeks back, and I was looking for something like that again... and, was disappointed. This story revolved around a middle-aged housewife who was trying to get her somewhat delinquent son back together with his ex-wife... I did not connect with these characters like I did in the other novel and I was just kind of sad at the end...










Both got 2 stars on Goodreads. Not a great reading month for sure!


This entry was posted on Saturday, June 30, 2012 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: