There's something liberating about not pretending. Dare to embarrass yourself. Risk.

- Drew Barrymore

Sam has been full of surprises ... from about the moment we knew about him!  Of course, his existence came as a surprise earlier this year, and he kept the theme going when he decided it was time to crash the party and arrive a bit early.

He nearly literally crashed his own party. Saturday, Sept. 27 was our baby party day :) Christy and Carrie threw us an awesome party to celebrate Baby Boy Goddard. We thought we had about 5 weeks before he would actually arrive; however, he decided it was time that very night.

Around 12:30 a.m. on Sunday, Sept. 28 I was awoken with the strange, yet familiar feeling of my water breaking. As I got up, there was no mistaking it was time, so I woke up Dad and we quick strategized our plan... since we hadn't made one yet.  I called the doctor and got the word to just come into the hospital. It was early enough that I figured Auntie Jamee was still up, so I sent her a text and Jon went to get her - thankful for not having to wake up Jack and MG.  And, you now it's the third time around when you take a shower before heading into the hospital... oh, yeah, and I had to back a bag.

With Jamee at the house to keep the home front under control, we made our way to the hospital. We got there at about 1:30 a.m. and were led right back to be registered and then sent up to labor and delivery.  The nurses hooked me up to the monitors and we tried to relax a bit while we waited for the on-call doctor, Dr. Chesney. At this point, the nurses told us the doctor may try to hold off delivery for a few days to give the baby more time in utero (since he was coming so early), but once the doctor arrived, he decided to move ahead with delivery.

Being rolled back to the operating room is not fun, nor is the spinal block once you're in there. Truly, the scariest part of the whole thing.  It went well and quickly though, and before long I was good to go and Jon could come in. At that point, it felt like the surgery flew and in a matter of minutes, we heard the baby cry... that magical, beautiful gasp-inducing sound.  The baby was here! He was born at 4:15 a.m., weighing in at 5 pounds 10 ounces and 18 inches long.


Difference #1 with having a preemie... I didn't get to see him right away.  The doctor didn't do the "lift up" over the sheet to show me my baby.  He immediately went to the nurses for assessment and Jon took this picture.  After they did his apgar scores (all 8s and 9s) and cleaned him up, they brought him to me all wrapped up.


After this, I'm a bit fuzzy... I got put back together and I think Jon went with the baby - not sure. But, shortly after, we found ourselves back in the labor & delivery room.  From waking up to being back in the L&D room, it had been less than 5 hours.  We called our parents and waited for my legs to come back.  After a few hours, I got moved to my recovery room and I got wheel chaired to the NICU to see my baby.

Difference #2 with having a preemie...


The most common preemie issue is underdeveloped lungs, and that's why the baby went right to the NICU.  He had an oxygen tube, a feeding tube, sensors on his chest that monitored temperature, respiration, blood oxygen levels, an IV in his hand, and a pulse rate monitor on his foot. As scary as this looks in retrospect, I can honestly say that I wasn't scared... the nurses at the NICU were wonderful and they assured us that there wasn't anything going on that was out of the ordinary for a preemie.  And, we could see he was breathing very fast and very hard. His whole belly would move by inches as he struggled.  The very hardest part was that I couldn't hold him... well, I suppose I could, but they recommended leaving him be to keep him settled.  Instead of holding him, I would put my hands on his head and beneath his legs and feet to touch him... so he could feel me being there.

Difference #3... Jack and Mary Grace couldn't meet their brother right away and no family picture with the just-born babe.  MG had been sick and was on an antibiotic, and while Jackson could was well enough to visit the NICU, we didn't think it was right for only one of them to be able to meet him.  Additionally, effective October 1, the NICU visitation rules changed because of RSV and Flu Season - no kids under the age of 12... so we decided to wait until the baby was out of NICU to introduce him to his brother and sister.  The kids did come to visit me each evening, though... I was missing them!

This is where we were on Sunday, and later that afternoon he was put on a CPAP machine to help him breath. Monday, he got off the CPAP machine and got his first food - 10 ml of formula through his feeding tube.  He also got a name on Monday!

Samuel Bryan - Check out his board on the wall :)  Obviously, we were unprepared because we still hadn't decided on a name!  We went into overdrive Sunday and Monday trying to choose, which honestly seeing and being with him helped a lot. We scanned name lists in the NICU... we revisited William Bryan and were about 90% sure that was his name (William was even on his board for a while).  Then, we thought about Harrison again, until Jon sabotaged it, then Sam and even Davis before we finally laid it down.  We like Sam and Bryan is for my Dad :)


I also got my first bit of alertness... first time to see his eyes!


Tuesday, 9/30, Sam was still doing okay, but the doctor noticed he had a "tear" on his lung that she was concerned about. He got a dose of lung-helping medicine and antibiotics... and, they continued to assure us that what was going on was normal for preemies. The highlight of the day was Christy and Brad came to see us all :) Nothing like friends and banana bread and Starbucks to perk you up a bit!  We also got a visit from Auntie Jamee and Trey that evening when the kids came to visit.  Felt loved!

On Wednesday, 10/1, we got the word that his "tear" healed - hooray! But, this is also when we got word that he would likely be in the hospital for between 7 and 10 days. Wednesday morning was rough... it just hadn't occurred to me that he would be in the hospital so long... and, I still hadn't held him. Sammy also got put under the lights for jaundice on Wednesday... he got to wear cool sunglasses, but I didn't like not being able to see his face.



Difference #4 - leaving your baby at the hospital.  Thursday, 10/2, was discharge day for me... I got situated and moved out of my room in the morning, then Jon and I went to hang out with Sam for a bit before heading home without him. I was looking forward to going home, but dreading leaving him behind. And, Jon and I were trying to figure out the logistics of coming to visit... I still couldn't drive and the kids would be home on the weekend, then he had to go back to work on Monday... it was stressful.  BUT, Thursday was a GREAT day just because I finally - FINALLY - got to hold my baby!  He started bottle feeding ... and, I was just thrilled to hold and feed him for the first time.



Thursday and Friday, we visited during the day, went home, then visited again with Sam before picking up the other kids at daycare.   We also managed to grab lunch and hit a consignment sale Thursday... but, I overestimated my stamina and ended up being tired in the afternoons, and forgetting to take my meds didn't help. Not to mention being emotional and postpartum... sigh.

Sam continued to make great progress... he learned how to eat without too many issues and took well to the bottle feedings. On Saturday, 10/4, I showed up and his feeding tube had been removed, he wasn't connected to an IV, and he was in a normal bed - I was so surprised, I at first thought they had moved him and some different baby was in his spot!  And, before I left, they took out his oxygen tubes... he had to be off oxygen for 48 hours before going home... so, it felt like this step started a countdown!  He did have a nasty diaper rash, though... poor kiddo :(



Sunday, Jack and MG and I went to Frozen on Ice (another post forthcoming on that), and I visited with Sam after the show. He did great without his oxygen tubes and I thought for sure we'd be bringing him home Monday.  Monday, we put the carseat in the car and I brought his homecoming outfit.  I watched the infant CPR video and was prepared to demonstrate what I'd learned... but when I got to the hospital that morning, his oxygen tubes were out, but they told me that I had to "room-in" with him before he went home. This means I had to spend the night at the hospital one more night with him in the room with me... I guess to make sure I new what I was doing and that he would be okay. I was so bummed... but, there was a great consolation prize because since Sam wouldn't be in the NICU that evening, Jack and MG could finally meet him!

Here's a pic of Sam sleeping so peacefully... with no tubes!



So... Monday evening, we all went back to the hospital and I was prepared to spend the night... but, before bedtime, Sam got to meet his big brother and sister!  That's another separate post but here is a sneak peak :)


Needless to say, Sam and I made it through the night... our first up together every 3 hours.  And, first thing Tuesday morning, Sam got checked out by the doc and he got discharged. HOO-RAY!!! Finally!!  Jon picked us up and brought us home.

In his going-home outfit... he WAS supposed to be a Halloween baby.


In his carseat.


And, HOME!


(I think his Mom likes to crochet.)

All in all, Sam was in NICU for 10 days.  His lungs have matured and he is breathing fine.  He's eating well, not a whole lot, but he did exceed his birth weight on the day he was discharged - up to a whopping 5 pounds 12 ounces :)  And, thankfully, they tell us there will not be any long-term impact on his development. And, I have nothing but great things to say about all of the nurses and doctors at the NICU - really, all of - Saint Thomas Rutherford Hospital. They took great care of all of us.



This entry was posted on Friday, October 10, 2014 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: