There's something liberating about not pretending. Dare to embarrass yourself. Risk.

- Drew Barrymore

This morning, I got up early, put on my warmest gear and met up with some of my TNT folks to drive to Nashville and participate in my first ever, caring about time, 5K!

Up 'til now, I had done the fun walk here in Murfreesboro, which I count as my first race because there was a gunshot at the start and a finish line. Then, Jon, Jackson and I did the Race for the Cure 5K in November, which I count but, didn't care about time (I even lost my chip). So, this was the first race I was trying to be fast for.

That being said, I'm not fast. I am a walker for now and was just hoping to complete the 3.1 miles in under 50 minutes, which is a few minutes shorter than I usually complete 3 miles for my regular training.

The race experience is really cool. There were lots of people there and it was really cold. I was more nervous than I expected.. and, the lines at the portopotties are as long as they say they are, lol. The race itself was pretty good... Nashville is much more hilly than I'm used to and there were two that were killers. My strategy for them turned out to be cursing them out.. which helped me get past them without wanting to die.

And, for the results!! I was super pleased with my time. I finished with a chip time of 48:57... well under my 50 minute goal, which makes my pace 15:48, which is SUPER fast for me. Now, ask me if I can keep this pace up for 13.1 miles.. ah, no. But, that will come eventually, too :)

Here's a picture of us all at the race.


.


This entry was posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: