I love football. I love it for many reasons. I love the competion and watching giant men smash into each other. I love the tight pants and the over-proportionate number of very attractive men. I love loving my team and feeling like a part of a family with strangers who love them as much as I do - sidenote, one of the coolest experiences I ever had was leaving RayJay after the Bucs took over first place in the division... it was just amazing. But, I seriously believe that the reason I love football the most is because I can sincerely hate people and it is socially acceptable.
Case in point, I hate the Rams and I HATE Kurt Warner for stealing away our Super Bowl in 1999. But, most recently, I HATE the New England Patriots and especially, their smug bastard quarterback, Tom Brady. Oh, and Belicheck, that prick. I hate him, too.
So, you can imagine that this past season has been difficult to watch for me. Every week, my hopes were raised for the Pats to get beat and then they were dashed. Until Super Bowl Sunday, when I witnessed the best Super Bowl of my life!
I can't call myself a Giants fan, though I have some great friends who are big followers. But, I became one this weekend. I put aside my secret belief that Eli Manning is a douche and cheered him on with all my might. And, what a game! We had a party, which made it more fun, because the fourth quarter was just a rollar coaster and it's always better to share those with friends. We screamed when Eli escaped from that sack and the receiver caught the ball on his head. We whooped and hollared when they scored that touchdown and then stressed out for those last 35 seconds while Brady came up short... ah, what a wonderful, wonderful game!
18 and d'oh!

Ah, I just love it.
It's going to be a long six months until pre-season starts.

0 comments: