There's something liberating about not pretending. Dare to embarrass yourself. Risk.

- Drew Barrymore

I'm a big fan of NPR and its series "In This I Believe."

I didn't hear this essay on the radio, but read it online and it was chilling. And, I think true:

Sharing the Tradgedy of War
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=89558974

While, I can't say I support the reinstitution of the draft, as this essayist does, her points hit close to home. Especially, her statement, "I'm not saying that I don't care. I'm saying I don't care enough." It's true. I don't care enough. The statistics and horrors described on the radio and tv are too abstract for me to get a real handle on. They are easy to dismiss. I know one person who is serving overseas, and I love him. He's a friend I've known for years, but even his serving in Iraq has not made it real. I worry about him and wish him home quickly and safely, but deep down, I don't believe he's in danger - which is irrational and stupid becaue intellectually, I KNOW he is. I'm living with an "it can't happen to me" attitude towards this war.

I think the point of this essay is this. If all of us had the intense, personal fear of losing those closest to us; if all of us had a husband, wife, son, daughter, grandson, granddaughter, etc., in harms way, we would all be more actively involved in getting this war resolved. We would all be putting more pressure on our politicians who make the decisions. We would all be demanding progress and resolution.

Instead, we complain about the war and the politics behind it, the money spent. We go about our business as if nothing is going on half-way across the world. And, for that reason I agree with Aileen Mory... if this war resulted in my husband or son being sent into battle, I sure as hell would be putting up a bigger fight.

Anyway, this essay certainly made me think a bit more about the war.. and, reminded me that it is very real for far too many people.


This entry was posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: