There's something liberating about not pretending. Dare to embarrass yourself. Risk.

- Drew Barrymore

What a wonderful, wonderful morning!! I am so proud to report that as a family, we did our first charity event by participating in the Susan G Komen Race for the Cure in downtown Nashville.

We got up early, layered up because it was cold (car said in the upper 30s) and made the drive to Nashville. Of course, my directions were bad and we had to figure our way there but, after a while, it just became a matter of following the cars. Once we found a place to park, it just became a matter of following the people.. It was packed! We got our bibs and our t-shirts and then went to the starting line. We waited for quite a while because the competetive runners went first and they asked for walkers and strollers to stay towards the back. But, once we got started... it was just the coolest feeling ever. To be part of such a big thing.

And, I'm honored to say that I was able to wear a sign In Memory Of Virginia Hagelberger. She is my Dad's Mom who passed away due to breast cancer before I could meet her.

As a family, we were able to collect over $400 for the cause and are planning on doing the race every year. A special thanks to those that supported us!

And, here are some pictures:



Jack's Race Bib (and chariot)





At about the half-way point.



Just past the finish line.

This was one of the coolest things I've ever done.. and, it felt so good to be there. If you haven't done something like this, I strongly recommend giving it a go!


This entry was posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: