I know that kids get sick but, seriously, so far it is the suckiest part of being a Mom. It's hard. It's hard to watch your kid be miserable and the mess of throw-up or other yucky stuff. But, the absolute worst part is just not knowing what to do. It makes me feel so helpless.
So, I did what I'm supposed to. After he had his bottle at about 5pm and threw it up all over me shortly thereafter, I called the pediatrician. Of course, it's after hours and I had to leave a message. When my doctor's nurse called, I was happy to hear from her and honestly, impressed it was someone I knew. After explaning that Jack didn't seem to have a fever, that he'd smile at me but, was pretty fussy and that he had gotten sick last night and again this evening, she advised we pick up some pedialyte and watch his wet diapers. I was relieved just to have something to do and a problem to look for.
So, I loaded Jack back up in the car and went to get some damn pedialyte. We get home and I gave him the prescribed one or two ounces, which he proceeded to throw-up (yes, all over me again). Ok, so, now what? Do I try more? Is he going to be dehydrated? If I had questions, I was supposed to call, right? So, I called. And, after a while, the actual doctor on call got back to me. I explained what was going on and then, it was like he was yelling at me. "Don't give him anything until a few hours after he gets sick! He's fine, every kid goes through this!" I was okay with this advice, even though it contradicted my doctor's nurse and I had only been doing what I was told. Trying to preempt another call, I asked if I should wake him up in a couple of hours to give him something? "NO! Don't wake him up! Leave him alone if he's sleeping, he's in no danger!" You know, I didn't think he was in "danger". I just need to know what to do. So "Roger, that, Doc" but, as soon as I got off the phone, I lost it. This asshole, never-met-me-before guy made me cry! I'm home alone tonight and just trying to do the right thing and this guy is yelling at me. I am still angry at how upset I was... which, in turn, made Jack cry, too.
I'm just new at this. I've never had a baby before and my biggest fear is that I'm not going to know to do something. For Christ's sake don't yell at me for asking for help! And, dammit, don't talk to me like I'm stupid!
We have already switched pediatricians and I really like Jack's new doctor and his nurse was wonderful on the phone with me, too. But, this guy was horrible... I'm sad he's in the practice and we could potentially have to talk to him again.
So, I did what I'm supposed to. After he had his bottle at about 5pm and threw it up all over me shortly thereafter, I called the pediatrician. Of course, it's after hours and I had to leave a message. When my doctor's nurse called, I was happy to hear from her and honestly, impressed it was someone I knew. After explaning that Jack didn't seem to have a fever, that he'd smile at me but, was pretty fussy and that he had gotten sick last night and again this evening, she advised we pick up some pedialyte and watch his wet diapers. I was relieved just to have something to do and a problem to look for.
So, I loaded Jack back up in the car and went to get some damn pedialyte. We get home and I gave him the prescribed one or two ounces, which he proceeded to throw-up (yes, all over me again). Ok, so, now what? Do I try more? Is he going to be dehydrated? If I had questions, I was supposed to call, right? So, I called. And, after a while, the actual doctor on call got back to me. I explained what was going on and then, it was like he was yelling at me. "Don't give him anything until a few hours after he gets sick! He's fine, every kid goes through this!" I was okay with this advice, even though it contradicted my doctor's nurse and I had only been doing what I was told. Trying to preempt another call, I asked if I should wake him up in a couple of hours to give him something? "NO! Don't wake him up! Leave him alone if he's sleeping, he's in no danger!" You know, I didn't think he was in "danger". I just need to know what to do. So "Roger, that, Doc" but, as soon as I got off the phone, I lost it. This asshole, never-met-me-before guy made me cry! I'm home alone tonight and just trying to do the right thing and this guy is yelling at me. I am still angry at how upset I was... which, in turn, made Jack cry, too.
I'm just new at this. I've never had a baby before and my biggest fear is that I'm not going to know to do something. For Christ's sake don't yell at me for asking for help! And, dammit, don't talk to me like I'm stupid!
We have already switched pediatricians and I really like Jack's new doctor and his nurse was wonderful on the phone with me, too. But, this guy was horrible... I'm sad he's in the practice and we could potentially have to talk to him again.

0 comments: