There's something liberating about not pretending. Dare to embarrass yourself. Risk.

- Drew Barrymore

The second weekend in June, we had a very special guest come visit us... My old friend, Tom.

Tom and my Mom dated when I was little - from about the time I was 11-months until 3? And, even though it didn't work out between the two of them, Tom has always been a part of my life. And, even now when we speak, he calls me little desert flower :)

As a kid, he would pick me up and take me out and about for day trips. I have many memories of motorcycle rides, the Minnesota History Museum, Mounds Park, and cloud watching. Tom has always remembered my birthday and is someone I've known was always there for me.

Once my summer trips to Minnesota ended, we saw each other less. We still kept in touch at birthdays and whatnot, but our contact was minimal. Tom made the trip to Florida to attend my wedding; however, honestly, that was the only time I'd seen him as an adult.

It was a big deal for him to make this trip. I was a bit nervous leading up to the weekend because we hadn't spent much time together recently, but once he arrived, things fell right into sync. We didn't have a whole bunch of stuff planned... we wanted to just take it easy, visit, and get to know each other a bit better.

Jon and I planned a menu and we filled up the kiddie pool for Jackson and Mary Grace. We grilled out and made pancakes. We did make it to the Stones River Battlefield National Park and toured the visitor center there. We made it out to Dairy Queen. Other than that... we just talked.
It was a great weekend. It was wonderful to get to know Tom better, to hear about his girlfiend, his family, and to hear him tell stories about mine. I especially apprecaited it when he spoke about my Grandpa and my Aunt Vonnie (both of whom have passed).

Tom's visit also reminded me how special it is to have someone like him in my life and to try to stay in touch better (an ongoing struggle I have with many folks!).

Sadly, we didn't get any pictures this weekend, a huge oversight on my part.

So, instead, I'll leave you with a description of a picture of Tom and I from back in the day:

We were sitting at my Grammy's kitchen table. Tom has me in his lap - I'm probaby 2 - and, I'm smiling at the camera. Behind me, Tom with his full dark beard and hair in a plaid shirt, is laughing big with his head thrown back.

Not sure why that image is the one that stands out in my memory... but, its joy is transparent :)


This entry was posted on Monday, June 13, 2011 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: