So, we're wrapping up day 2 of our Frankenstorm weekend... and, I can't complain one bit because it's been a restful - okay to be lazy - weekend and we never lost electricity. Can't beat that.
Last week, Toby mentioned to me something about it snow/hurricaning on Halloween, but I didn't pay much attention. But, then the news started going nuts about the impending super-storm... the perfect storm created by Sandy, a late hurricane coming up the east coast, meeting up with an early nor'easter from the west. The storms timing was a media jackpot and it was christened "Frankenstorm."

I figured on Friday that staying home on Monday would be a possibility... we went about our weekend, and on Sunday afternoon, kindergarten was cancelled for Monday and Tuesday. Then, the wait started for OPM to announce if the government would be open. I was staying home either way, but it was nice to find out I didn't have to take leave.
Monday was yucky, rainy and cold, but not too bad... Jon had to go in and the news was a bit scary as the day wore on. It was supposed to really hit our area in the evening... and, once I saw the Governor of Maryland beg people to stay off the roads to 'reduce loss of life,' I felt like I was texting him every 5 minutes to start getting home. Jon is responsible for 3 stores, the closest of which is through some mountains and 45 minutes away... but, he didn't want to leave while he still had employees there. And, the company just wouldn't close. Finally, as the weather became eminent, his employees made him leave - they were still there - and, he made it home right around 6...
And, then it started to hit. It was super windy and loud and lots, and lots of rain. SO thankfully, the lights flickered a few times, but it never did go out. I went to bed at around 10, but was woken up by the howling wind more than once in the night... the last time being around 2 or so... after that, it must have settled.
And, today, school and work is closed again, Jon went back in, and we're just hanging out being lazy. I've got a pot roast in the crock pot and it's been a pretty good couple of days (minus the Jon not being home during scary town).
Last week, Toby mentioned to me something about it snow/hurricaning on Halloween, but I didn't pay much attention. But, then the news started going nuts about the impending super-storm... the perfect storm created by Sandy, a late hurricane coming up the east coast, meeting up with an early nor'easter from the west. The storms timing was a media jackpot and it was christened "Frankenstorm."

I figured on Friday that staying home on Monday would be a possibility... we went about our weekend, and on Sunday afternoon, kindergarten was cancelled for Monday and Tuesday. Then, the wait started for OPM to announce if the government would be open. I was staying home either way, but it was nice to find out I didn't have to take leave.
Monday was yucky, rainy and cold, but not too bad... Jon had to go in and the news was a bit scary as the day wore on. It was supposed to really hit our area in the evening... and, once I saw the Governor of Maryland beg people to stay off the roads to 'reduce loss of life,' I felt like I was texting him every 5 minutes to start getting home. Jon is responsible for 3 stores, the closest of which is through some mountains and 45 minutes away... but, he didn't want to leave while he still had employees there. And, the company just wouldn't close. Finally, as the weather became eminent, his employees made him leave - they were still there - and, he made it home right around 6...
And, then it started to hit. It was super windy and loud and lots, and lots of rain. SO thankfully, the lights flickered a few times, but it never did go out. I went to bed at around 10, but was woken up by the howling wind more than once in the night... the last time being around 2 or so... after that, it must have settled.And, today, school and work is closed again, Jon went back in, and we're just hanging out being lazy. I've got a pot roast in the crock pot and it's been a pretty good couple of days (minus the Jon not being home during scary town).

0 comments: