There's something liberating about not pretending. Dare to embarrass yourself. Risk.

- Drew Barrymore

Reporting the October reads...

I started the month with a funny, quirky novel: Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man by Fannie Flagg.  Honestly, I remember my Dad buying this book for my Mom and it being around the house when I was a kid.  I never picked it up back then, though I have read Fried Green Tomatoes back in the day.  Not sure how it caught my attention this month, but I did enjoy the book... not too deep, but not too flighty, it's about Daisy Fay as she grows up in the 50's with less-than Leave It To Beaver parents.  It made me laugh out loud at points and was sweet... perfect if you're looking for a lighter read.
 

















Then, I picked up the opposite of a light read. Everyman by Philip Roth is depressing... the story of a man at the end of his life.  He reveals his mistakes and regrets and the hopelessness he feels as his health deteriorates.  It was a very believable story... and, one I'm glad I could think of as being in the "distant future" for me.  Though, the main character does ponder how the "distant future" came to be his present... I have too many issues with aging an mortality, I'm better off focusing on the now and moving on to the next novel.




















Like Everyman, I picked up Too Much Happiness by Alice Munroe at the library.  I'm not sure where I heard of this collection of stories, but it had been on my to read and wish lists on my paperback book swap... so, it's been on my radar. Though, when I picked it up, I hadn't remembered it was a collection of stories.  I enjoyed the stories... and, some of them introduced characters so vivid, I resented the fact that their stories were so short (on average 30 pages or so).  I'm not sure if I'm a short story kind of girl.  I enjoyed them, but the left me wanting more or I felt like I didn't get it... that I needed either more text or to talk about them.

 

And, lastly I picked up Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith.  It's almost Halloween, right!?  I bought this book for $3 on clearance at T.J. Maxx. No other reason. And, it was an interesting enough spin on history... short story, Abe Lincoln was a life-long vampire hunter and the Civil War was a fight to prevent vampires from taking over the U.S.  Entertaining and kind of cheesy - at least I can say I read something scary in October :)



 My bookshelf at home is getting thin - I have so much more time to read, I have gotten through most of what I own. I've been hitting up the library more often, which is fun... and I will likely need to do some swapping on line.  If anyone has suggestions for stuff I should read, send them my way - especially if they are not newish... makes it easier to get my hands on a paperback, cheap!


This entry was posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2012 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: