I got off to a running reading start in 2013.
I got Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins in the mail on my birthday. I read the first novel in the series over a year ago, and enjoyed it, but didn't go nuts needing to buy the rest of the series... so, I put books 2 and 3 on my wishlist online. When I finally got Catching Fire, I devoured it... read it in 3 days and I really, really enjoyed it. I thought the book moved very quickly, almost too quickly because I felt like I wanted more of the new characters and more of about the twist... I read it quickly and wanted more... so, I broke down and put Mockingjay on hold at the library :)
I think The Other Boleyn Girl by Phillipa Gregory was the 2nd book I got off of my book swap website when I joined a million years ago. For whatever reasons, I never picked it up until a morning I was trying to get out of the door quickly and had to make a quick decision. And, even with a long commute to coerce me into reading it, it was a slow start. It took a couple hundred pages for me to get invested... and, if it wasn't for jury duty boredom, I don't know if I ever would have gotten there... but, I did and then I couldn't put it down. Of course, I am partial to historical fiction, and I didn't know a whole lot about Henry VIII and was interested in the history... which was full of drama and intrigue as it is. The novel was a great read and makes me want to know more about the period. Well, not enough to read real history, but definitely to read more Phillipa Gregory books :)
Before I even finished The Other Boleyn Girl, Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins was on hold for me at the library. Score! I devoured Mockingjay, too, finishing it in a couple of days. And, again, I felt like it was rushed! OMG, I know it's young adult fiction, but give a girl a break! The resolution of the story was good, if not fully fleshed out. The ending felt like the author had a page limit and realized with 30 pages left, she had to wrap it up... but, with all that being said, still totally worth it.

My next book arrived in the mail just a few days ago... One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd by Jim Fergus. It is a fast paced novel, written for the most part as journals, of a woman in the 1870's. May is a likeable character, if a bit more progressive and liberal than is believable for her time. She is a volunteer for a government program which has promised to provide Native Americans with white women for brides to help bridge the differences between the two cultures. My favorite part of the book were the white women characters - a diverse group of women in of themselves - I did fall in love with them, especially Gretchen. My least favorite parts were those that just didn't ring true to the times or to women... and, there were a handful of instances like this. Despite that, I did enjoy the story and was moved to tears and out loud laughter.
.
I got Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins in the mail on my birthday. I read the first novel in the series over a year ago, and enjoyed it, but didn't go nuts needing to buy the rest of the series... so, I put books 2 and 3 on my wishlist online. When I finally got Catching Fire, I devoured it... read it in 3 days and I really, really enjoyed it. I thought the book moved very quickly, almost too quickly because I felt like I wanted more of the new characters and more of about the twist... I read it quickly and wanted more... so, I broke down and put Mockingjay on hold at the library :)
I think The Other Boleyn Girl by Phillipa Gregory was the 2nd book I got off of my book swap website when I joined a million years ago. For whatever reasons, I never picked it up until a morning I was trying to get out of the door quickly and had to make a quick decision. And, even with a long commute to coerce me into reading it, it was a slow start. It took a couple hundred pages for me to get invested... and, if it wasn't for jury duty boredom, I don't know if I ever would have gotten there... but, I did and then I couldn't put it down. Of course, I am partial to historical fiction, and I didn't know a whole lot about Henry VIII and was interested in the history... which was full of drama and intrigue as it is. The novel was a great read and makes me want to know more about the period. Well, not enough to read real history, but definitely to read more Phillipa Gregory books :)
Before I even finished The Other Boleyn Girl, Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins was on hold for me at the library. Score! I devoured Mockingjay, too, finishing it in a couple of days. And, again, I felt like it was rushed! OMG, I know it's young adult fiction, but give a girl a break! The resolution of the story was good, if not fully fleshed out. The ending felt like the author had a page limit and realized with 30 pages left, she had to wrap it up... but, with all that being said, still totally worth it.

My next book arrived in the mail just a few days ago... One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd by Jim Fergus. It is a fast paced novel, written for the most part as journals, of a woman in the 1870's. May is a likeable character, if a bit more progressive and liberal than is believable for her time. She is a volunteer for a government program which has promised to provide Native Americans with white women for brides to help bridge the differences between the two cultures. My favorite part of the book were the white women characters - a diverse group of women in of themselves - I did fall in love with them, especially Gretchen. My least favorite parts were those that just didn't ring true to the times or to women... and, there were a handful of instances like this. Despite that, I did enjoy the story and was moved to tears and out loud laughter.
.




0 comments: