My February book was Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything. I barely finished it within the month... not really because it was a hard read - it was far from it - but, just because that's how things are for me.The book was interesting... it attempted to explain social issues using economic theory. It explained why real estate agents encourage you to take a deal rather than hold out for a better offer - I thought this was a duh premise, but they supported it with math - and why drug dealers live with their mothers - turns out low-level thugs don't make that much money. The most intriguing concept presented in the book, though, was the reduction of the crime rates in the 90's was attributed to the legalization of abortion in the 70's. This one just made sense to me and it was a theory I hadn't ever heard before.
It was interesting; however, I felt like it repeated itself quite a bit and could have been a shorter book.
This one had been on my "to read" list for a long time, and I'm glad I read it. I like non-fiction... but, now I'm ready for a novel again.
My problem with books lately is that I can't find the right book... it feels like a craving I can't satisfy. I want something to completely lose myself in... preferably a la The Alienist. Just can't seem to scratch the itch.
The book for March is Prep by Curtis Settinfeld. Wish me luck!

0 comments: