Jack is 11 weeks old today!! We had a good week, too.
Jack had his two-month check-up on Monday and it went pretty well. I think everyone was anxious to see how much he weighed, since we hadn't done that for nearly a month. On his one-month appointment, he was only 7lbs 15oz. Not yet even half a pound heavier than his birth weight. After introducing and switching to formula, at his 2-month appointment he was up to 12lbs 3oz!! What a little tubby! I mean, we knew he had grown but, I was in shock. And, quite relieved. He also measured in at 24 and a quarter inches long, which is in the 75th percentile for length. Here's hoping he's tall! He ranked in the 50th percentile for both weight and head circumfrence. The bad part of the appointment was Jack getting his first immunizations. Three shots and an oral vaccine. It was horrible. I'd never heard him scream in pain before and it brought tears to my eyes, too. Overall though, he was quite a trooper. The next couple of days, I could tell he didn't feel well, which is a normal reaction, and he's slept more this week but, seems to be getting back to normal. Next time, though, Dad can take him in for shots.Other than his appointment, the week was great. I think it was because he was sleeping more and I felt like I had time to get some stuff done. I also rediscovered my mini coffee pot I used to keep at my desk and the extra shot or two of caffiene has made me happy, too. Oh, Jack also got a couple new toys this week. I'm becoming a believer in Leap Frog Baby stuff... We both really like his new mirror toy that makes animal noises and sings a song.
Here's what they sent to me about babies Jack's age:
Your New Baby
Jackson Edward is starting to exercise a little self-control. When he is crying and you respond by making a funny face or talking to him, he will be able to settle down, stop crying, and eventually give you a great big, toothless smile.
Speaking of smiles, Jackson Edward may start giving you my favorite: the full-body smile. A full-body smile is just what the name implies: a smile that uses all of Jackson Edward's body. He may kick, wave his arms, and squeal. There will be no mistaking that he is happy. By the end of the first year, full-body smiles are pretty much over, so enjoy them now.
If you are out of your baby's sight and call to Jackson Edward, he will now probably turn his head and search for you. He is also gaining enough strength and coordination in his neck that when you pull him to a sitting position, he might be able to keep his head steady and in line with the rest of his body.
We're defnately getting the full body smiles and they are great! He gets so excited and kicks his feet like crazy. I try to call for him without him seeing me but, he's usually distracted by something and is too intent looking at something else to turn his head. I've noticed that he's easier to settle, too, like the email talked about. Like in the mornings, when he is screaming for food, I'll smile and talk to him while we change his pants and he usually calms down and gives me big smiles... until he remembers he's hungry! He defiantely has great neck strength, too. He'll hold his head up without too much wobbling and he can hold his head up for quite a while when on his tummy.
He's such a good baby. I feel pretty lucky.

0 comments: