There's something liberating about not pretending. Dare to embarrass yourself. Risk.

- Drew Barrymore

I wrote this at work today during lunch:

Today is my first real day back at work and so far, it is going smoothly. I'm really, really glad I had the bit of transition last week. Today hasn't been too much of a shock to my system. I'm not getting up much earlier than I was with Jack so, that wasn't hard and, the baby has great timing because he's regularly sleeping through the night so, I'm getting plenty of sleep.
There will be some adjustment to the job itself, though. The atmosphere has changed considerably since I left. Our assignment is a big one and the pressure is definately on to make sure we get everything done on a monthly basis. There is alot less chitchat than before my leave but, that is probably a good thing. Coming in mid-month, I feel a bit overwhelmed because the majority of my half of the month's work was waiting for me. I have alot to do to catch up and ensure my team's monthly assignment is completed. So far this morning, I'm pleased with what I've done and we'll see how this afternoon goes. I need to monitor 10 calls this afternoon with a meeting thrown in... and, remember how to properly evaluate them, learn a new pop-up feature and how to log them into the database. Sigh.
I'm looking forward to picking Jack up this afternoon.. though, I stress about his sleeping still. I had a rough weekend dealing with irrational fears revolving around his sleep (or lack thereof) ... and, I want him to be happy and it's really hard to be happy when your tired. Can't wait to hug my little boy!

Overall, the day went by really fast and I felt productive. I think I'll get over the overwhelming feelings soon enough as I start making a dent in what I have to do. I only got 5 calls done this afternoon but, was pretty pleased with that and I'll be able to make up the 5 missed calls pretty easily.

But, the best news of my day is that when I picked Jack up from daycare, he was happy and smiley and alot more like his normal self. He took three medium sized naps today and when we got home, I got almost an hour of play-time in, which made me really happy. Just like everyone has said, it's getting better and he's adapting to his new surroundings... but, I have to say seeing my little boy happy is much more encouraging than any well-meaning words of encouragement. Regardless, thanks to those who've been doing their best to make me feel better!

Here's Jack this afternoon playing with his Momma!



This entry was posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: