For sanity's sake, training has not been a priority through December but, I am still getting in as many workouts as I can during the week.
I haven't been to the Y in a while after getting the last available treadmill the week after Thanksgiving. I'll be damned if I have to wait there... so, I've been hitting mine at home and also trying to get out in the neighborhood more. I've been playing on a website, www.walkjogrun.net that uses GoogleMaps to plot out your route and gives you your mileage. Monday this week, I used it the first time, creating a mile and a half route. It got dark much too early and I didn't like being out by myself so, I don't think I'll be able to do too many outdoors walks in the evenings until the time changes again. But, I do like being outside. It's much more interesting and I get to get away for a bit.
Alas that was the only walk this week until Group Train on Saturday. It was really good, a relatively easy 3.5 miles - crazy I think that's a light train! The group was small and it was cold.. my ears were burning.. but, the best part was I walked with Jenny and we really got to chat it up a bit. She's an older woman who is doing TNT for the second time this year. Her husband is a survivor and living with chronic leukemia... and, their story is amazing. Fundraising for LLS has been very abstract for me until I got to talk with Jenny because the drug her husband is currently on, the one she refers to as a miracle drug and that she credits with saving his life, was actually developed as a result of an LLS grant. This is the first time I've had first-hand experience with what the fundraising money actually can do for real people... And, it made me feel really good.
And, would you believe as we were chatting it up, we completed our 3.5 miles in 56 minutes :) At that 16 and a half minute pace, I would finish the half-marathon in just over three and a half hours.
Fundraising is continuing and, is picking up a bit. I know the holidays makes it a more challenging time to ask for money. I did sell 2 loaves of bread last week (already baked for the cancelled bakesale) and I received a couple of checks in the mail. I need to figure out how to get them into LLS, lol. Starting next week, I'll include a fundraising total in my weekly update.
Here's hoping for a happy holiday next week and more workouts getting in! I think I'll drag my sister out with me :) Hooray for Jamee coming to visit!

0 comments: