There's something liberating about not pretending. Dare to embarrass yourself. Risk.

- Drew Barrymore

I finished out my weekend of cooking with an all day, bbq pulled pork recipe in the crock pot :)

I put in the mostly frozen pork roast in the crock pot last night at 10 p.m., but right off the bat, I think I used the wrong cut of meat... the recipe called for butt or shoulder and I think we had something a bit leaner, but that's okay. I put it in the crock with two onions and a cup of ginger ale and woke up to it smelling good early this morning.

After 12 hours, I took the roast out, discarded all the fat and liquid, shredded it and threw it back in the crock pot with a bottle of bbq sauce. I improvised a bit, throwing in a splash or two of apple cider vinegar and half a beer. I put the beer in there before I remembered I don't like beer!

It cooked for another six hours and I think that was the biggest mistake... it turned out okay, but seemed a bit too dark, if that makes sense. I think next time, I'll leave the beer out and use a different, not so dark, bbq sauce... and definitely cook it for less time.

It was pretty yummy served over garlic toast, a la Sonny's Real Pit BBQ. Tater tots also make any meal a success. Jackson didn't try it, but my little Miss Piggy ate two big servings. I'll definitely try it again with some minor modifications... an easy meal and would be good for parties and pot lucks, too :)

Four new recipes in one weekend! Go me!


This entry was posted on Sunday, January 30, 2011 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

    Andy said...

    Go Sarah! Isn't cooking fun! I've been cooking MUCH more lately. I cook twice a week, and Shawn cooks once a week. We're eating real well. Because I cook much more often now, I needed to find new recipes. If you get a little more adventurous, let me know and I'll send some recipes your way.

  1. ... on January 31, 2011 at 7:37 AM  
  2. Sarah said...

    It is fun...both Jon and I have been giving new things a try. Curious to hear about your adventure recipes! Send 'em our way :)

  3. ... on January 31, 2011 at 7:33 PM